Is It Time to Repair or Replace?
Every homeowner knows in the back of his or her mind that the time to replace the HVAC system will eventually come. At the same time, it’s an investment that most people want to put off until it’s absolutely necessary. So how do you know if your HVAC unit should be completely replaced, or just needs a tune up?
When Repair Makes Sense…
In general, you’ll want to start by considering a repair if these conditions apply:
- Your HVAC system isn’t very old. Repairs may even be under warranty, so be sure to check your owner’s manual.
- Your HVAC system hasn’t had any other problems.
- The repair will cost far less than replacing the unit.
- A replacement part that’s professionally installed can solve the issue.
- Your HVAC system isn’t unsafe in any way.
In these cases, it’s best to opt for a repair. As long as the repair is a permanent solution (and not merely a “band-aid” patch to a bigger problem), it should be the right call.
When Replacement Is a Better Solution…
Of course, there will come a point when replacing your HVAC equipment is simply the right route to take, regardless of whether or not you’re ready. Some of the signs that replacement will benefit you and the rest of your family include:
- Repairing your HVAC system will cost almost as much as buying and installing a new system.
- There is no guarantee that a repair on your HVAC unit will last very long.
- Your HVAC system is extremely old.
- Your energy bills have been steadily getting costlier and costlier due to an inefficient HVAC unit.
- Your HVAC equipment can’t realistically handle the needs of your home, leaving you uncomfortable even when it’s working up to par.
A professional HVAC expert will be able to help you determine the right replacement unit to suit your home. Remember that many contemporary models are eligible for tax rebate credits, which means you’ll get more for your money. Plus, you can often get financing if you qualify, which helps limit your immediate outlay of cash.
Stop Worrying and Start Enjoying the Air Quality in Your House
Have you been mulling over the choice between repairing and replacing your HVAC system? Call SECCO Home Services at 717-470-8201. Our technicians will give you upfront, honest feedback based on our years of experience.