When Plumbing DIY Isn’t Recommended
So you’re a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIYer)? That’s great! We at Pronto are like that. In fact, as a small water droplet, I always had the mentality that I could do everything on my own.
Unfortunately, plumbing repairs and replacements are sometimes best left to the pros.
This isn’t to say that you can’t try to be as self-sufficient as possible. It just means that you have to know when to hold ‘em, when to fold ‘em (thank you, Kenny Rogers, for allowing me to pinch your famous song lyrics!)
Below are some of the times when DIY is a plumb bad idea:
- If you realize that you don’t have the proper tools to get the job done, and those tools are going to cost you an arm and a leg.
- When it’s a plumbing emergency. Although you SHOULD react quickly and try to mitigate any damages, you shouldn’t try to tackle the issue alone.
- If you don’t have the time to do the plumbing job the right way. Be honest with yourself and realize that you have to allot a good portion of time to fixing plumbing problems, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the trade.
- When you’ve started on a plumbing DIY project and you feel worse and worse as the process goes along, knowing you’re in over your head.
- If your DIY plumbing project has been in the “doing it myself” stages for weeks, months or even years.
- When you’re not one-hundred percent certain you can safely handle the job.
Remember – we adore the spirit of a DIYer! But part of being someone who loves a challenge is being big enough to admit when you’re faced with a task that requires additional know-how.