If you’re a homeowner in the Harrisburg area (which enjoys some freezing and below-freezing temperatures this time of year), you may one day have the “pleasure” [insert sarcastic tone] of dealing with burst pipes.
Although we recommend you contact SECCO immediately, there are definitely some steps you can take to minimize any damages burst pipes can create.
1. Turn off the main water valve so no water is running through your pipes.
2. If there are items getting wet (or in danger of getting wet), move them away from the pipe.
The upside is that there are preventative measures you can take to ensure that your pipes don’t burst. These include:
– Having a professional inspect all your pipes, ensuring they are safe and well-insulated.
– Unfreezing any frozen pipes before they burst. (Never use a blowtorch… yes, people actually have tried this!)
– Inspecting pipes as soon as a faucet or spigot stops producing a good stream of water.
Remember -precaution will pay off in a big way. Burst pipes can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage very rapidly, and that’s something to be avoided at all costs.
Be smart, be savvy and protect those pipes.