It’s that time of year again. The pollen is in the air and the Kleenex boxes are practically flying off the shelves. Plus, coupons for over-the-counter allergy medications are abundant in the Sunday paper.
Let the season of watery eyes, hacking coughs, constant sniffling and scratchy throats begin!
While you can’t do anything about the pollen count in central Pennsylvania, which has been pretty high this May, you can definitely do something to keep your surroundings as healthy for you and your family as possible.
Try some of the following techniques to maintain a better quality of life during springtime allergy season:
- Take every precaution to keep your house as clean as you possibly can. You may have to vacuum each day, as well as sweep the floors, to pick up any pollen residue that’s been tracked indoors.
- Get tested by an allergy specialist if you haven’t ever or for a while. It’s not unusual for people with allergies to assume they are allergic to one substance, and to find out they are actually allergic to a difference substance (or to some new substances).
- Take showers every evening (even if you take a shower in the morning) so you don’t inadvertently leave pollen that’s attached to your skin and hair on your pillows and bed sheets when you sleep.
- Add central air or a ductless air conditioning system to your home so you can keep windows and doors closed. This gives you more environmental control.
- Invest in a HEPA air filtering system that will keep your living quarters cleaner. Many people who suffer from springtime allergies are amazed at the difference air filtering systems can make.
- Take your allergy medications as directed and on a consistent basis. Try not to skip any doses, as doing so can cause problems in the medicine’s effectiveness.
- Get your ducts professionally cleaned so they aren’t blowing out particles of dust, dander, pollen, insect detritus and mold spores.
- Try to exercise or work in your yard early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid traditionally higher pollen count times of the day.
- Make an appointment with your physician if your springtime allergy symptoms begin to worsen. You don’t want to fool around with this kind of physical concern, as severe allergic reactions can sometimes lead to emergency medical situations.
You can definitely enjoy the springtime despite your allergy symptoms. Just take a few precautionary measures and prepare yourself to combat the airborne allergens!