22 Weeks of Summer: Post #10 – The Average Lifespan of Your Household Appliances
Have you ever wondered what the lifespan of your household appliances will be? While it might not be something you want to think about every time you purchase a refrigerator or dishwasher, it’s definitely something you have to keep in mind. That way, you can budget for new items before they begin to show signs of breaking down. (Keep in mind, of course, that some appliances will last much longer than you expect; others will, alas, have a shortened lifespan.)
Average Lifespan of Household Appliances:
- Dehumidifier – 8 years
- Dishwasher – 9-12 years
- Freezer – 11-16 years
- Garbage Disposal – 10-13 years
- Humidifier – 8 years
- Refrigerator – 13-17 years
- Washing Machine – 10-13 years
- Electric Water Heater – 11-14 years
- Gas Water Heater – 9-10 years
- Tankless Water Heater – 20 or more years
Of course, you can always do everything in your power to extend the average lifespan of household appliances by taking simple steps:
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for inspections, tune-ups and other maintenance.
- Keep the appliance as clean as possible.
- At the first sign of any problem, call the manufacturer (if the product is still under warranty) and/or a licensed service company.
- Only use the appliance as it is intended.
- In the case of dishwashers and washing machines, use the proper cleaners.